Chilled Tomato Soup With Avocado Salsa
- 6 each Roma tomatoes, split and deseeded
- 2 each garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1/2 teaspoons basil, finely chopped
- 1/4 each yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 ounce olive oil
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/4 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon white pepper, fresh ground
- 1/2 each avocado, diced
- 1/2 each cucumber, peeled, seeded, diced
- 1/2 each red and green bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 1/2 each tomatillo, diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoons cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
Soup - In a hot skillet, add oil and sautďż˝` tomatoes, garlic, onions and basil. Add paste, broth and simmer until tomatoes fall apart. Remove from heat and then add vinegar and pepper. Puree soup in a food processor and refrigerate.
Salsa - Combine all ingredients and let chill for 2 hours before serving.
Serve soup with a dollop of salsa on top.
Courtesy of www.5aday.com